Auditorium and Meeting Room Policy
Fees for Use
1. Meeting rooms are available free of charge to any group or individual. The auditorium is available at a rate of $50 per hour to individuals or groups.
2. Any loss or damage to the premises, equipment or furnishings as a result of public use will be charged to the group or individual responsible for the room reservation. There will be a minimum $50 charge for any damages incurred.
Meeting Room Scheduling
1. Library sponsored programs and elections receive first priority in scheduling. Otherwise, reservations are scheduled in order of request.
2. It is not the intent of the Library to provide permanent or continuous meeting space.
3. Application to use meeting rooms can be made using the library's meeting room reservation software which is available through our website. Users who don’t have online access can reserve the auditorium and meeting rooms at our service desk, or over the phone. A reservation is not complete until it is confirmed by the library.
4. Reservations can take up to 72 hours for approval.
5. A group must complete the meeting room reservation application online form once. After the group is registered and approved, then they may be granted subsequent use of meeting rooms without completion of an application form. The agreement contained in the application form will be binding upon the reserving individual or group for any subsequent meeting room reservation(s).
6. Reservations for meeting rooms and the auditorium can be made up to three months in advance.
7. Groups or individuals may schedule the meeting rooms for two uses per month. The auditorium may be scheduled for one use per month.
8. Notice of cancellation should be received by the Library at least 24 hours in advance of the reserved time. Failure to notify the Library of a cancellation may result in denial of future meeting room privileges, and loss of fee, if applicable. In cases of inclement weather, exceptions can made at the discretion of library staff.
9. The Library Director and Library Board reserve the right to cancel any meeting should conditions warrant. When the Library closes due to an emergency, all efforts will be made to notify organizations scheduled to use a meeting room. During adverse weather conditions, the group should check with the Library or consult local media outlets for closing information.
Basic Rules of Use
1. Permission to use a Library meeting room does not constitute Library endorsement of the group's policies or beliefs, and no claim to that effect nor claim to Library sponsorship may be used in advertising. Neither the name nor address of the Library may be used as the official address of a group using the Library's meeting rooms. The Library will make no effort to censor or amend the content of a meeting.
2. Individuals using the meeting rooms or auditorium may not charge admission or solicit donations.
3. Private parties and receptions are not permitted at this time.
Rules of Conduct
1. Groups using the meeting rooms and auditorium are responsible for maintaining order. Appropriate conduct is expected as a condition of room use.
2. The Library bears no responsibility for personal injury sustained while using library meeting space.
3. At least one adult must be present and responsible for any event involving children under the age of 18.
4. Children must stay with the group or be supervised by a responsible adult as per the library’s unattended child policy.
5. Room set-up is the responsibility of the user.
6. No tacks, nails or adhesive tape are to be placed in or on doors, walls, or furniture.
7. Lighted candles or flames, because of fire hazard, are not to be used within the meeting rooms or the auditorium.
1. Refreshments may be served in meeting rooms and the auditorium.
2. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
1. Groups and individuals using meeting rooms are responsible for basic clean up and returning the room to order.
2. Any equipment or displays brought in for a meeting must be removed at the end of the meeting. The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
3. If the space is not left in the condition it was found in, a minimum fee of $50 will be charged to the responsible party for clean-up.
Exceptions for Library Use of Public Meeting Rooms Events sponsored by the Library, the Friends of the Library, the Library Foundation or the City of Lawrence are exempt from provisions of this policy. Requests from the public for exceptions to this policy must be made in writing to the Library Board one month prior to the reservation.